Wednesday, August 3, 2011

WTF is a Yooper?

I'll answer that in a second. Predictably, it's been awhile since my last post- and the last one wasn't even a full update. Since Portland, I've been to WA and MI. I leave MI tonight, striking out for Gloucester, MA. Since I've mostly just been hanging out with family and whatnot, I should be able to bring you up to speed pretty quickly before I leave.

Washington

     So when I left Portland, I went to Washington. I have a friend who lives in Port Orchard, so I rolled into Tacoma. It was the work of but a few hours to get there, and the train was on time for a fucking wonder. That was nice, but it didn't make up for what happened next. Remember the "foreshadowing" thing? Yeah... so about halfway to Port Orchard I realized I left my fucking camera on the train. That's right, I took my brand new 300 dollar Nikon out of my backpack with the intention of being a good little tourist and taking some pictures for you, got bored (turns out everything looks pretty much the same from a train window), fell asleep, woke up for my stop, and completely forgot the fucker. FUCK!

I called Amtrak, gave them my seat number and everything, and was told they'd look for it, and call me if they found it. I called them back a couple times, but no go so far. I'm thinking it's gone. I feel like I should say I've been kicking myself ever since, but it's not really true. As much as that sucks, it was an honest mistake, and I'm too Taoist to waste a lot of time over spilled milk. Frankly, as much as I had designs for a youtube channel and all that, I've lived without a camera for 21 years- if I really need one in the future, I guess I'll find a way to get one. The only thing that really still stings is that it was a gift. I always have a harder time letting go of things someone got me out of the goodness of their hearts than shit I got for myself. Funny, huh?

The rest of WA was fairly uneventful. I hung out with my friend for a couple days (one full day and two halves in fact). I had some tasty food, fucked around in Seattle for awhile, did some redneck target practice (20 gauge shotgun + old microwave in the back yard). I rode the ferry across to Seattle, where I jammed with a hobo, and hopped on my 48-hour train ride (plus 5 hour layover in Milwaukee, and 9 hour bus ride) to Crystal Falls, MI.

Yoopers!
   So, what's a Yooper? Well, Michigan is divided into 2 parts. There's Lower Michigan, which is where all the stuff you know about (Detroit) is, and then there's another part- separated from the rest of the state by a large portion of lake Michigan (it's a big-ass lake). This little bit at the top is inhabited mostly by descendants of immigrants from super cold places like Finland (lots of the towns have street names that are mostly in Finnish). They are generally poor by today's standards, and have silly accents much like a watered-down version of the Minnesotan/Dakotan accents in Fargo.This area is referred to as the Upper Peninsula- U.P. for short. From there, especially with the accents here, it's a short step to calling all the natives here Yoopers. So now you know, and when I wear my Yooper Chopper Co. shirt with the picture of a chainsaw on it, you don't have to ask.

The reason I'm here is I have family here. My Grandfather has lived here for years and years, so has my Great-Great Aunt, and my Mom moved here a year or so ago when life in California didn't pan out. My trip coincided (purposely) with my brother/sister-in-law/nephew's visit, so mostly what I've been doing for the last week or so is hang out with my family. Consequent to that, I have very little to report. Most of the newsworthy info is as follows:

-I played at a bar in a town @ an hour away- Bennet's Roadhouse Saloon. I was well received there, and the owner (a very nice guy) filmed and posted my House Of The Rising Sun. The sound quality's a little iffy, but it's certainly nice to get outside promotion!

-One of my most impressed audience members was my brother, Dave, who took pains to inform me that it "wasn't just because he's my brother". That was the first time he had seen me perform, and he was apparently taken enough that he wants to try and help me orchestrate a little southern tour sometime soon, having made connects in the Virginia/Carolina area for some years. As the original family pro (he trained as a concert pianist for years, til his second year of college, when he decided a Classics major was more his style- he has his doctorate in that now), among other things, that recognition really means a lot to me.

-Dave, having taken up distance running in the last few years, also ran a trail marathon while he was here (made 3:50 or so, I might add). In a fit of brotherly love, he decided to dedicate it to me. That almost made me cry.

-I played another gig at an awesome venue called the Honey House. It's owned by beekeepers. They bought an abandoned church- that's where I played. Except for the shitty sound equipment ( i borrowed 2 practice amps-one turned out to be a bass amp- and a lousy microphone from my mom's friends), it was pretty awesome. I've always wanted to play in a church... and I'd like to again. Also, they are trying to start a meadery via a Kickstarter project. Everyone likes delicious honey wine (especially me), so kick them some money if you can. If you do, I'll buy you a bottle when I get rich and famous.

-I ate lots of tasty food and had lots of fun

-Amtrak apparently only lets us privileged rail pass customers get our tickets physically AT the station, and since the nearest station is in MILWAUKEE, they effectively bussed me up here and left me high and dry. I had to pay for a bus ticket out of my own pocket (70 bucks) to get me back down. This brings my ticket expenses, on top of the $750 pass that was supposed to keep my ass covered, up to about $200. Not to mention the 300 dollar camera they couldn't find, even though I gave them its exact location before the train even stopped again. Fuck you, Amtrak, I hope you die.

Anyway, that's about it for now. I roll out by bus at 1 a.m. tonight, and should get into Boston at @ 9 on the 5th. keep your fingers crossed that it's not in too late, as I have to catch a train to North Station, then to Gloucester after that, all before they finish running for the night.

Here's a song I like.



    Bye!
       -Mojoe

No comments:

Post a Comment