Sunday, July 10, 2011

Leg 1-Colorado

Whatup, y'all! I guess this is going to convert mostly into a travel blog for the next month or so, so be prepared for many more updates in that vein.

Well, my travels have officially begun. I left on Friday afternoon by train, and rolled into Denver at midnight. My train had engine trouble, so it took 2 1/2 hours longer than it was supposed to. Aside from getting in at midnight and having my phone die in the midst of trying to direct my cousin to the right station to pick me up, the trip went fine.

          I discovered, as I was leaving, that my backpack is REALLY FUCKING HEAVY. This confused me, since I had removed several bulky items from the bag prior to departure. Turns out my laptop plus hard drive and power cord is much heavier than I realized (also I was too lazy to buy travel-sized toiletries). I didn't pack that stuff 'til the last minute, so I forgot to account for it. I briefly considered sending a few of my extraneous items home, but since the only things I have more of than I need are t-shirts and shampoo, that probably won't limit the weight very much. I'm thinking it might not be worth the trouble. So I will likely just remove my laptop from the backpack and submit to being one of those idiotic looking tourists who wander around festooned with luggage... backpack, laptop bag, camera, guitar case... bleh.

      Anyway, I don't really have much to report right now...  I am spending time amongst many extended family members, so I am mostly just catching up, eating tasty food, and relaxing with beers. Also, I played a short set over at the Cannon Mine coffee shop last night (thanks for hookin it up, uncle Paul)- they're always very cool to me when I come, so I had a good time. All very fun for me, to be sure, but not much material for general blog-reader amusement. I was gonna get someone to take pictures when I played, but I forgot.  Oh well.

      That's about it for now. I will probably go on a brewery tour tomorrow, so perhaps pictures will be forthcoming from that. Stay tuned to find out, and for an introduction to my diminutive travel companion, Winston.

     I'll leave you with an awesome tune by a relatively unknown artist named Karen Dalton. She died without ever really attaining recognition, but is much loved by great musicians like Bob Dylan and Dan Auerbach. I picked this song because it has one or two verses about Colorado (and trains). I guess she lived here for awhile.

                                    
         "I wish I was a headlight
           On some western train
           I'd shine my light on
           Cool Colorado range..."

         Seeya laters...
               Mojoe
                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment