Thursday, July 7, 2011

...If I have to ride the blinds

" So, I'm leavin in the mornin
If I have to ride the blinds
You stole my heart but you can't
Take my mind"
          -Dan Auerbach

That line's been used in various iterations in numerous blues songs. The first two lines are kinda like "roses are red, violets are blue" but in the blues tradition. The second two are kinda fill-in-the-blank... I used Dan's version 'cause, well, it's the Black Keys, man. Before we launch into the meat of the bloggage (this one won't be very substantial I think), I'll gift you with two of my favorite tunes (read "the first two I thought of") that include this line.  First is Robert Johnson's ever classic Walkin' Blues. Also, here's a version of the same tune done by R.L. Burnside. I added it because I find it funkylicious in a most excellent way. And here's The Black Keys' Countdown. It's off their very first album, which I've noticed many johnny-come-lately fans haven't even listened to. I love their new shit too, of course, but I kinda miss the 'Keys' old low-fi sound.

     Anyway, the reason I'm posting this is that I, too, am leaving in the mornin'. Although I won't be riding the blinds, and this journey has very little to do with my ever-tragic love life, I will be traveling by rail. Just inside, in the relative comfort of the coach car. Yup, that's right. The day has finally come to embark on my epic tour of the U.S. But I must take the opportunity to quell a rising rumor (apparently inadvertently started by me, indulging in obscure terminology). This is NOT a music tour. I will play in a couple places on the way, but I hardly think that qualifies. It's just a regular tour, guys. Like... with postcards and whatnot.

      Actually, this trip has a lot more to do with scoping out potential places to live. It seems that my familial support for my non-collegiate foolishments will soon be running out. This does not come as a surprise- it's just like in the deal. But having to find an independent means of subsistence, coupled with the absolutely SHITTY musical opportunities for a mellow fellow such as myself, and the fact that I no longer go to UNM... well, let's just say there's not a hell of a lot to compel me to stay.

       That said, I still have a few ties here. My dad, my Kung Fu family, and the few friends I've gleaned from my socially unambitious life at UNM are all still in the abq, as well as this little studio apartment that's been in the family for enough years it's started to feel a little... homey. I still love each and every one very much (well... "love" is a little strong for the apartment), and I don't really relish the idea of leaving them behind and starting again by myself. But it kinda feels like time to move on. That's probably why I feel sadder than I should leaving for just a month or two... basically, I don't expect to be back very long when I return.

     As far as where I intend to go, I don't really know yet. Right now there are three possibilities in my mind. One is moving to Asheville NC if and when my sister goes in September- but she's not sure she's going to yet, and I'm not sure if I want to move there anyway.

Another is moving to Portland- I have a friend who's moving there soon, so I would have connections, and I hear the music scene is pretty cool. But there's two problems with that... I've never been to Portland (I will rectify that on my trip), and let's just say having that particular friend as my only connection might make things... a little more complicated than I want.

The third option is to give it all up, sell all my shit, take a backpack and a guitar, and go where the wind blows me, much like my Kung Fu brother Camilo. I've followed the spiritual path (and watched Camilo do his thing) long enough to know I don't really need my stuff, and I'm reasonably sure I could let go of it without overmuch fuss. But there's always a catch, and the catch for this option is... I don't really want to. Possessions, I don't care so much about. But I do care a lot about my connections. As aloof and reclusive as I may seem to the casual observer, I like hanging out with loved ones... in fact there's not much I like better in life, and I like having somewhere to come home to. I'm not really an extraverted person, and it takes people awhile to warm up to me. So, as romantic as it is, the footloose and fancy free persona doesn't really fit me so well. I'm calling it plan C.

I don't really expect any, but if you have any awesome ideas for an alternative, I'd love to hear them. I haven't planned my whole trip yet (it's been extended to include Massachussetts and Nebraska, by the way), and I'm specifically leaving a couple transfers free for later inspiration. So if you think I should visit somewhere that's not on my itinerary (see my previous entry "death and travels"), holler at me.
One way or another, I'm hoping this journey will help clarify where I want to go next in life, literally and  figuratively. I intend to have fun too, though.

I think that's all for now... check back for posts on my journey. I'll try to put anything interesting up here when I can, and I have a camera now, so photos should be forthcoming as well. I'll leave you with another cool song about traveling (and sex, 'cause sex is cool too...). These guys are probably old news by now, but... I like 'em.


      



                          Bye folks
                                -Mojoe

No comments:

Post a Comment